If you would like to receive this school informational update by email every Friday afternoon, please send an email request to email@example.com. Please give your name, student’s name and all email addresses that you would like to receive the update. Mahalo.
KMS UPDATE KMS UPDATE KMS UPDATE KMS UPDATE KMS UPDATE KMS UPDATE KMS UPDATE KMS
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
Sat Feb 17 Music Marathon and Food Truck Rally 4:00-8:00 pm
Mon Feb 19 Presidents’ Day – No school
Wed Feb 28 BRAT free-dress day
Thu Mar 1 Geographic Exception (GE) Request Forms due
Thu Mar 16 SQS Parent Survey due – must be post marked no later than 03/16/18
AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM DOE SUPERINTENDENT
All KMS students received a letter today from our DOE Superintendent, Dr. Christina Kishimoto, regarding school safety and security. If your child did not share the letter with
you, please read the attachment below.
(See attached file: Letter from DOE Superintendent.pdf)
PREPARING FOR 7TH GRADE
All public school students entering 7th grade must have a physical exam, also called a well-child visit.
- The well-child visit should be done within 12 months before the start of the 7th grade.
- Please let the school know if you need more time because of appointment scheduling.
- A new Form 14 should be filled out by the doctor’s office and brought to school.
- Use the well-child visit as a time for you and your child to ask the doctor or nurse questions about teen health and wellness issues.
For more information, visit www.HawaiiPublicSchools.org
(See attached file: Prepare for 7th Grade.pdf)
SO MUCH TO CHEER ABOUT! Congratulations to our KMS teams and their faculty advisors for their outstanding preparation that resulted in very special awards and recognitions:
- SPEECH TEAM members gave award winning performances and took FIRST PLACE at the Hawaii Speech League Middle School Division tournament at Sacred Hearts Academy. This was the first time a public school has won such a trophy in many years! Let’s cheer the team on as they prepare for their final meet of the year at Punahou School on Saturday, April 7.
- SCIENCE FAIR SUCCESS – Of the ten projects sent to the District Science Fair, nine of them will receive awards and/or move on to the state level competition. KMS had the special distinction of having the most projects awarded. Students will be applauded for their work at the Awards Ceremony this Friday, February 16.
- MATH TEAM scored as MOST IMPROVED at the recent MATH COUNTS competition at Kamehameha School. The team’s hard work and perseverance made them real winners as they celebrated this final achievement for the school year.
Read more about our super teams and their achievements in the next KMS Quarterly Newsletter.
WHAT TO DO THIS WEEKEND? Support KMS Band
Music Marathon and Food Truck Rally
Saturday, February 17, 2018
Kawananakoa Cafeteria/Parking Lot
4:00 to 8:00 in the evening
Grab some dinner/snacks from one of the popular food trucks that will be stationed in our campus parking lot and then enjoy music provided by all levels of our very talented Kawananakoa Middle School Band under the direction of Mr. Jason Chin. Proceeds will benefit the KMS Band and KMS
(See attached file: Food Truck Rally.pdf)
Mahalo – KMS Band Booster Club
LEAVE IT ALL ON THE MAT! Cheer on our wrestling team as they grapple in their first tournament at King Intermediate, on Saturday, February 24 from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
HAU`OLI LA HANAU – HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Our school’s royal namesake, Prince David Kawananakoa, was born on February 19, 1868, in Pauoa Valley.
MAHALO PARENTS FOR YOUR DONATIONS!
Thank you to the family of Kailee Maglangit, who donated paper cups for Team 7B and books for Mr. Lee. Ms. Guardino sends her warmest mahalo to Curren Tagami’s family for providing new composition books for her students. Mr. Lee also received and is thankful for more books for his classroom library from Vikter Torres’ family as well as the Tagami family.
Your support of our school is very encouraging and deeply appreciated.
TEACHERS’ WISH LIST – Help our teachers, help our students!
Ms. Guardino’s (English Language Learners )classes are in need of facial tissue (Kleenex) and new or gently used Dictionaries, English-to-Chinese/Chinese-to-English as well as English-to-Tagalog/Tagalog-to-
Mr. Lee (new English teacher) needs new or used chapter books of all reading levels for his classroom library.
Team 7A teachers (Ms. Bott, Ms. Sepulveda,and Ms. Togashi) are requesting boxes of facial tissue (Kleenex).
Team 7B teachers (Mr. Chung, Mr. Forrest, Ms. Shishido and Ms. Zalopany) are requesting disposable paper drinking cups (3 oz. – 8 oz. size).
REFLECTION – “Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” ~ Lao Tzu, ancient Chinese philosopher
Happy Chinese New Year!
Please let us know if you prefer not to receive our weekly KMS UPDATE. If you would like the KMS UPDATE to be sent to an additional or alternate email address, please advise us.
Ka na`auao me ke aloha – Knowledge and wisdom with compassion
Enjoy the weekend!
Ann M. Yasui
Parent-Community Networking Center (PCNC) Facilitator
Kawananakoa Middle School
49 Funchal Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813